September 4, 2013

designer productivity - 5 tools for getting things done

 

I won't hesitate to admit it, I am a productivity junky. GTD (Getting Things Done) blogs, life hacks, time-management tips: I can't get enough of them in my quest to do as much as humanly possible with each and every day. 

A recurring theme in productivity advice is the idea of creating a "catch-all" for tasks and responsibilities - a central location that makes it easy to keep track of everything you need and hope to accomplish. It's important to keep in mind, your tools are only as good as your discipline in utilizing them; it's much less effective to use various methods or to keep track of some tasks mentally while externalizing others. 

For me, this tactic of transcribing every task - from replacing a lightbulb to accomplishing a life goal - has been instrumental in suppressing the scatterbrained artist in me and her penchant for perpetually forgetting to buy more coffee creamer. I've used various methods over the years that have served me well, from ball-point pen on found construction paper to iPhone apps bought at the price of a small pizza. Here are my top 5 favorite tools I've found in my search for the perfect way to get things done:


Workflowy is a simple, free, in-browser list that doesn't distract with any superfluous graphics, animations or bells and whistles. Hierarchy is an important factor in to-do lists, so the cascading lists and bullets make it easy to organize tasks into categories. You have the ability to sign in on any computer and access your list from anywhere, including a mobile browser. (And most importantly, you still have the satisfaction of crossing things off with a strikethrough when they're completed.)


4. 2 Do

image courtesy of 2DoApp.com

2 Do has no shortage of features – which in my opinion makes it worth the $9.99 it'll set you back in the app store (believe it or not). In contrast to Workflowy, 2 Do has everything and the kitchen sink - great textures and graphics, various tabs for different lists, the ability to set alarms, as well as setting recurring tasks. You can add notes, record audio, attach phone numbers to call, or even set it up to alert you when you're geographically close to a task. Imagine having a reminder alarm go off near the pharmacy if you have to pick up a prescription!


At one point I wanted to get back to basics, and found that setting up columned lists in a Google Doc for the bigger picture things (like plans for the year, or for a specific event/project) seemed to be more conducive to staying on top of all my tasks. While it's no longer my way of capturing day-to-day responsibilities, I still like to keep longer term lists this way - such as christmas gift ideas or New Years resolutions.


2. Trello



Trello is my current weapon of choice when it comes to my to-do lists. It's intended to be more of a collaborative project management system, but I've found it to be a useful productivity tool for one as well. You can create a number of different lists that are displayed on a single page or board, so all projects and errands are visible at the same time. You can also add comments, links, images and checklists that show the percentage completed as you check things off. It's free, and both an in-browser and an iPhone app, so it's easily accessible whenever inspiration strikes you.



Google Calendar is more central to my ability to function than I probably should admit. I use it to organize every part of my life - planning my workout schedule, organizing daily tasks and reminders, carving out time for working on design projects, keeping track of social events - if I'm spending time doing it, it's in my calendar. Google Calendar's simplicity makes it one of the best tools out there, and still has the important features of different color-coded calendars, creating recurring events (like grocery shopping every 2 weeks), and a checklist to add time sensitive tasks to specific days. If you're an iPhone user, I've found that Calendars + is the best app to use your calendar with - it's the most simple and visually close to Google's calendar that I've tested.

I am constantly looking for more ways to fit more productivity into my life - do you have any favorite apps, methods or websites? Share them in the comments!

34 responses , join in!

34 comments:

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. interior designer london

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing this excellent info! I am looking forward to seeing more posts by you as soon as possible! I have judged that you do not compromise on quality. about personal branding

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. goldcoders hyip template

    ReplyDelete
  4. The diversity of opinion reflects the fact that some see as a product of graphic design and all other graphical demonstration only those that arise as a result of the application of a model of industrial production, those visual manifestations that have been "projected" contemplating needs of different types: productive symbolic ergonomic contextual etc. background removal service

    ReplyDelete
  5. I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. website builder with ecommerce

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think about it is most required for making more on this get engaged iphone 7 cases

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. best online digital marketing courses

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great website with interesting and unique material what else would you need. SIBO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was taking a gander at some of your posts on this site and I consider this site is truly informational! Keep setting up.. LED mini mirror

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts. Plant-based

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very useful post for me. This will absolutely going to help me in my project. muelhens lemon scented tissues

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOUR TO DO LIST ADVANCED. FREE TO USE. WITHOUT LIMIT.Ideal for daily use or for Business with a powerful Statistic. Adding tasks via voice, assign a priority, add an image, separate tasks into lists, add a reminder, earn coins, export all tasks, create sub-tasks, assign contacts, restore deleted tasks... and more, all free. App based on the methodologies: GTD (Get Things Done) and Kanban widget app

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Vancouver SEO Agency

    ReplyDelete
  14. That definitely possibly an amazing organize i always in truth definitely relished checking out. It's not necessarily specifically frequent i always add some choice to identify a selected matter. Design Company

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let's just admit it, Google has monopolized our lives to make us Internet dependent and turn us into walking 'G' zombies. Web research has now equaled to Google and debates about being better off without them have ended with the same answer: The benefits outweigh the risks and dangers it poses. From finding books on Google Books to finding locations and coordinates on Maps or Earth to getting your own virtual flash drive through G Drive (also known as Google Docs), they has created a whole new world for us to live in. productivity app

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a graphic demonstration of great artistic value, high quality, and that even a model for learning to design-for even surpasses in quality to many of the current-editorial productions, and also from a functional point of view contemporary. graphic design is my passion meme

    ReplyDelete

 
original template by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template
;